Switching Between Vancouver (Medical) Citation Format and APA Style
If you plan to switch between the Vancouver format commonly used in medical journals and the APA (American Psychological Association) format preferred by some journals, be sure to add the Medical Journals Terms List to your library before importing your citations from PubMed.
- Go to "Tools" then "Define Term Lists" then "Journals" then "Import List."
- Find the Medical Term Lists by clicking on the program files, Find the EndNote program, then Terms Lists folder, then double click on Medical terms
- You should get a message saying 8907 terms have been added to your library.
If you forget to do this and find you need to switch to the APA style with citations from PubMed, simply start a new library, import the Medical Terms List, and then import existing EndNote Library.
Finding Full Text from within EndNote
Setting Up Find Full Text
1. In EndNote, go to Edit → Preferences
2. Click on Find Full Text
3. Copy and paste the following into the corresponding boxes:
OpenURL Path: http://sfxhosted.
4. Check all boxes.
Click here for video of this process.
Finding Full Text
- Highlight references
- Right click OR go to "References" and choose "Find Full Text" and then "Authenticate"
- Click on done after signing in with username and password.
- Right click OR go to "References" again and this time choose "Find Full Text."
- Status of your search can be seen on the Left Column under Find Full Text.
- Double check those not found by searching for the journal title via the Library's links to the e-journals:
Click here for video demonstration of "Finding Full Text"
Health Sciences Library
John A. Burns School of Medicine
University of Hawaii at Manoa
651 Ilalo Street
Honolulu HI, 96813-5534